Fresno veterans' building gets a makeover
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More than a hundred enthusiastic volunteers started Wednesday amped up and ready to help renovate V.F.W. Post 8900 in West Central Fresno. The Home Depot teamed up with Mission Continues to supply the materials and manpower needed for the "Celebration Of Service" event intended to support veterans.
"This year Home Depot has decided to focus on the veterans. We are about 35,000 strong and many Home Depot associates that are actually veterans," said Chuck Freni with Home Depot.
Cornelius Smith works at the Home Depot at River Park. The Army soldier is one of 1,500 active military service members nationwide offering up his time. Wednesday he was helping the V.F.W. build a brand new deck. "Right now we're building it from scratch. So there's not really, we're not remodeling so we're building a new one so it's going to be stained and everything so."
Volunteers also dug up holes to put in plants as they looked to beautify V.F.W.'s landscape.
Dozens of volunteers are not only working on the outside of the V.F.W., they were also inside the hall where every inch of this place is being re-painted. Crews here are using gallons of paint to spruce up this place.
In all, more than $1,300 dollars in materials is being donated to this project. Many of the volunteers are V.F.W. members themselves said the upgrade was much needed.
"I think it'll benefit us. We rent the hall out quite a bit for different functions. We have our own functions. We rent the park out for birthday parties and easter parties. And it dresses it up real nice now," said Bill Gonzalez.
fresno, fresno county, fresno west central, volunteer, local, tommy tran
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years