Mountain resort hires hundreds in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More than two hundred people in the Valley have new jobs after being hired at a job fair for China Peak Mountain Resort.
For nine hours Saturday, about 150 job applicants streamed into the Sierra Vista Mall in Clovis.
"I ain't working right now, so I decided to see if I get lucky," Robert Hernandez of Fresno said.
Hernandez said he did not plan on applying for a job this weekend until he saw a sign for the event.
He's been looking for work for months, with no luck.
"it's really hard. I had a job, a good job. But, I got laid off, work got slow," he said.
Hernandez and many more like him filled out an application and had an immediate interview.
China Peak Mountain Resort, fresh off a season with record snow fall, filled 220 positions by the end of the two-day job fair.
"If you've never had the chance to work up in the mountains, at a ski area, it is sometimes a dream come true," Don Lull of China Peak said.
That dream did come true for Luis Gutierrez. He was hired on the spot.
"I got the ticket cashier job, I'm going to start in probably two weeks. I'm just happy to hear about that," he said.
Gutierrez's 6 month job hunt is over, but now he's preparing for a big move.
"I really didn't think I'd have to relocate, but they told me the weather conditions and how long it will take to get there, so I decided to relocate," Gutierrez said.
With unemployment in Fresno County at 14.9 percent, the resort had prepared for at least a thousand job seekers.
However, officials say the turnout was less than expected with 400 applicants Friday and just 150 on Saturday.
china peak, local, rick montanez
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies 48 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Singer Juan Gabriel released from Vegas hospital
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos