Mountain resort hires hundreds in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More than two hundred people in the Valley have new jobs after being hired at a job fair for China Peak Mountain Resort.
For nine hours Saturday, about 150 job applicants streamed into the Sierra Vista Mall in Clovis.
"I ain't working right now, so I decided to see if I get lucky," Robert Hernandez of Fresno said.
Hernandez said he did not plan on applying for a job this weekend until he saw a sign for the event.
He's been looking for work for months, with no luck.
"it's really hard. I had a job, a good job. But, I got laid off, work got slow," he said.
Hernandez and many more like him filled out an application and had an immediate interview.
China Peak Mountain Resort, fresh off a season with record snow fall, filled 220 positions by the end of the two-day job fair.
"If you've never had the chance to work up in the mountains, at a ski area, it is sometimes a dream come true," Don Lull of China Peak said.
That dream did come true for Luis Gutierrez. He was hired on the spot.
"I got the ticket cashier job, I'm going to start in probably two weeks. I'm just happy to hear about that," he said.
Gutierrez's 6 month job hunt is over, but now he's preparing for a big move.
"I really didn't think I'd have to relocate, but they told me the weather conditions and how long it will take to get there, so I decided to relocate," Gutierrez said.
With unemployment in Fresno County at 14.9 percent, the resort had prepared for at least a thousand job seekers.
However, officials say the turnout was less than expected with 400 applicants Friday and just 150 on Saturday.
china peak, local, rick montanez
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals