Drive by shooting call ends after Fresno PD opens fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police are investigating an officer involved shooting in Central Fresno. The shooting happened just before midnight outside of a gas station at Belmont and Effie.
Police say they spotted a car suspected in a drive by shooting about 45 minutes earlier. Investigators say a man was shot in the upper body on Valeria Street and taken to Community Regional Medical Center where he's expected to be okay.
Officers spotted the suspect's car and another vehicle at a gas pump on Belmont. Back up arrived and police say someone in the car didn't cooperate and officers began shooting. A bullet hit the passenger in the suspect's vehicle. He was taken to the hospital for surgery and we're told is in stable condition.
Authorities are trying to piece together the two crimes and figure out exactly what happened.
Chief Jerry Dyer said, "We don't know a lot of the details that led up to the shooting other than occupants in this vehicle were involved in the drive by shooting that happened 40 minutes prior to this officer involved shooting."
A total of five officers including a lieutenant are on paid administrative leave pending an investigation.
Police Chief Jerry Dyer says at least two guns were recovered in the suspect vehicle and several of those inside the car are known gang members.
fresno police department, officer involved shooting, shooting, crimetracker, fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local, tommy tran
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos