Kerman school district employee killed in crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Students and teachers in the Kerman Unified School District are struggling to deal with the loss of a long-time staff member.
54-year-old Lawrence Sanchez was killed early Monday morning. The California Highway Patrol says a drunk driver crashed into his motorcycle. The accident happened at the intersection of Whitesbridge Avenue and Monroe Avenue in Fresno County.
Sanchez was the head custodian for the school district. He worked for the district for 30 years.
Staff say he was a mentor who was loved by many students. Enterprise Continuation High School's principal, Eric Paolinelli says, "I feel very sad for Lawrence's family. I feel very sad for our kids and our staff. It will be a great loss." Paolinelli says Sanchez was a good listener and a mentor to many students.
California Highway Patrol has charged 23-year-old Latoya Green with manslaughter and for driving while under the influence of alcohol.
CHP says Green was driving on a suspended license. Officers say she was heading home from a party in Visalia when she slammed into Sanchez just after 6.30 a.m. on Saturday morning. Sanchez died a short time after the crash.
Staff members at the school are planning on holding a memorial to honor his life. They still have not set a date for the event.
kerman, fresno county, accident, dui, local, mariana jacob
- Officer-involved shooting in Northeast Fresno 29 min ago
- Man shot in upper torso in Parlier; 1 person detained 8 min ago
- Large fire guts warehouse southeast of Fresno 47 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Girl Scout Cookie dessert recipes
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Large fire guts warehouse in Fresno County
47 min ago