Kerman school district employee killed in crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Students and teachers in the Kerman Unified School District are struggling to deal with the loss of a long-time staff member.
54-year-old Lawrence Sanchez was killed early Monday morning. The California Highway Patrol says a drunk driver crashed into his motorcycle. The accident happened at the intersection of Whitesbridge Avenue and Monroe Avenue in Fresno County.
Sanchez was the head custodian for the school district. He worked for the district for 30 years.
Staff say he was a mentor who was loved by many students. Enterprise Continuation High School's principal, Eric Paolinelli says, "I feel very sad for Lawrence's family. I feel very sad for our kids and our staff. It will be a great loss." Paolinelli says Sanchez was a good listener and a mentor to many students.
California Highway Patrol has charged 23-year-old Latoya Green with manslaughter and for driving while under the influence of alcohol.
CHP says Green was driving on a suspended license. Officers say she was heading home from a party in Visalia when she slammed into Sanchez just after 6.30 a.m. on Saturday morning. Sanchez died a short time after the crash.
Staff members at the school are planning on holding a memorial to honor his life. They still have not set a date for the event.
kerman, fresno county, accident, dui, local, mariana jacob
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos