Kerman school district employee killed in crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Students and teachers in the Kerman Unified School District are struggling to deal with the loss of a long-time staff member.
54-year-old Lawrence Sanchez was killed early Monday morning. The California Highway Patrol says a drunk driver crashed into his motorcycle. The accident happened at the intersection of Whitesbridge Avenue and Monroe Avenue in Fresno County.
Sanchez was the head custodian for the school district. He worked for the district for 30 years.
Staff say he was a mentor who was loved by many students. Enterprise Continuation High School's principal, Eric Paolinelli says, "I feel very sad for Lawrence's family. I feel very sad for our kids and our staff. It will be a great loss." Paolinelli says Sanchez was a good listener and a mentor to many students.
California Highway Patrol has charged 23-year-old Latoya Green with manslaughter and for driving while under the influence of alcohol.
CHP says Green was driving on a suspended license. Officers say she was heading home from a party in Visalia when she slammed into Sanchez just after 6.30 a.m. on Saturday morning. Sanchez died a short time after the crash.
Staff members at the school are planning on holding a memorial to honor his life. They still have not set a date for the event.
kerman, fresno county, accident, dui, local, mariana jacob
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos