Remembering a Clovis man killed in Sacramento
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Funeral arrangements have been set for a Clovis man who died earlier this week.
Christopher Salomonson, 24, was a graduate of Clovis East High School and lived in Sacramento. His parents say he died Monday after being attacked by a teenager just steps away from his apartment.
Salomonson is being described as a good kid with a big heart. According to Sacramento police, he was randomly targeted by someone who was trying to rob him.
The 2005 Clovis East graduate enjoyed water polo, poetry and nature. But, loved ones say his greatest passion was practicing his faith, and sharing it with others.
Scott Drake said, "When I think of Chris I think of a life being transformed in the likeness of Christ."
Drake is a youth pastor at Trinity Community Church in Clovis. He and Chris got to know each other after Chris started working there as a counselor.
"Chris got involved with our college group and started working with our high schoolers as a counselor and hanging out with me and my family," said Drake.
Chris left the Valley to attend Bible College in Sacramento. Most recently, he was going to trade school, and had just been hired at a local gym.
Family members say on Sunday, Chris went out for dinner with friends. According to investigators, when he returned to his Sacramento apartment, a 16-year-old boy punched him, forcing him to fall on the ground and hit his head.
Jennifer Berman said, "We stand here today still feeling like it's surreal. It just can't possibly be."
Jennifer Berman has known Chris' family since before he was born. Chris' younger brother is a freshman at Reedley College. His parents are both Clovis Unified teachers. She says, while they're all in disbelief, they're trying to rely on their faith to get by, just like Chris used to.
Berman said, "The loving god as having a plan for not just Christopher's life, but everybody's life and that's the strength they draw from."
Chris will be buried at Sanger cemetery this Friday. A celebration of life will follow at South Point Church in Fresno. That's where family members have requested donations be sent.
Service for Christopher Salomonson: Friday, November 4th
Graveside 10 A.M. Sanger Cemetery: 568 S Rainbow Avenue Sanger, CA 93657 Phone Number: (559) 787-2267
Celebration of Life to follow: SouthPoint Church 5391 E. Tulare Ave. Fresno CA 93727 Phone: 559-455-1119
Donations in remembrance can be made to the SouthPoint Church Food Bank.
crimetracker, murder, sacramento, clovis, local
- Fresno woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Lemoore considers tough water rules 40 min ago
- Suspicious bags found by Boston Marathon scene
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Tulare County-based drug smuggling ring busted
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Photos: Blood Moon seen across Valley skies
- Man rushes past security at Fresno airport
- Photos: Tax Day deals and freebies
- Drivers in California crash had clean records