Authorities following leads on Halloween rapist
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County Sheriff's investigators are following several leads in a Halloween night rape case.
The violent attack happened around 11:30 Monday night at the Hillcrest Travel Plaza, a truck stop off I5 and Lassen Avenue near Avenal.
Detectives say the woman was working in an office behind the convenience store when a man knocked on the door and forced his way in. Deputies believe the suspect also had an accomplice. Surveillance video showed a man keeping watch outside the door for more than an hour.
Customers we talked with found it hard to believe the assault when on that long without someone hearing the woman scream.
"I stop here quite a bit to fill up on gas," said Frank Rodele. "When I go in I notice 3-4 employees working at that time so it's kind of surprising something like that could happen to someone."
So far several people have recognized one or both of the men - including the victim and her coworkers. A local law enforcement officer adds he remembers the rape suspect from a prior traffic stop in the area. He hopes more people will come forward with information so an arrest can be made.
sex crimes, avenal, fresno county sheriff department, fresno county, local, linda mumma
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos