Telling the stories of local veterans
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Central Valley is home to many veterans of wars past and present, each with their story of service to their country. Some of those stories can be found in a new book from a Valley author whose weekly writing class for vets helped them come to terms with their military service.
Jane James is a World War II veteran who joined the "Always Ready" Coast Guard in 1944. One of the many women whose service freed up men to serve overseas.
James said, "At the time I was working in San Francisco in the custom house working for the Army engineers and the Coast Guard was in that building."
She was 23-years-old, met and married a pilot during her service who would parish in plane crash. At the age of 90 her story is among ninety-five accounts in this book: 'Stories of Service Volume II'. Vietnam Veteran Lee Self served aboard a Navy ship that patrolled the Mekong Delta in Vietnam. A dangerous duty that he survived.
"Once you start delving in to that period in your life you kind of want to share it," said Self. "And it's kinda, medicinal, you could say."
Fresno Author Janice Stevens edited the stories written by ninety-five veterans from her writers class held at the Clovis Memorial District.
Stevens said, "We can write all kinds of history about something but we don't have the history from those who served, so that's the critical need for that."
Veterans of all ages share common experiences but each has a individual story that can help us all better appreciate their service and sacrifice. For this veteran service is a family tradition.
My mother was a Rosie the Riveter at Eagle Field, I had many uncles in the Korean War and my oldest son served in the Army, a captain, tank commander, served in Afghanistan and Iraq.
local, nancy osborne
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos