Fresno Police call 2-year-old's death "suspicious"
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A toddler is dead, and Fresno Police have a lot of questions about what happened to the child in the moments leading up to his death.
Investigators from both the homicide and child abuse unit are investigating this suspicious death. But, they will rely on information from an autopsy to find out what happened to the young boy.
After hours of collecting evidence inside a West Central Fresno apartment, the crime scene tape is down, but no one answered the door at the unit where a two year old lived. Neighbors say they were very upset to hear about the little boy's death.
"It was kinda hard to stomach, you know, and then coming over here and looking at it with the crime scene tape, it was disruptive, disruptive," said neighbor Lauren Connor.
Fresno Police were called out Sunday afternoon to the Villa Hermosa Apartments. The call was reported as suspicious circumstances involving a two-year-old. The child was taken to Community Regional Medical Center and died hours later.
Monday morning, an autopsy was performed on the little boy at the Fresno County Coroner's office. By Monday afternoon, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer issued a statement saying, "Due to the suspicious nature of this death, our agency has assigned both homicide and child abuse detectives to investigate this incident."
Fresno County Child Welfare Supervisor Anthony Norwood told Action News "We are aware of the child fatality. The child was not in foster care at the time of his death. We are investigating along with law enforcement."
Child Protective Services would not say whether they have been called out to the residence before and if the child had any prior contact with their agency.
Neighbors say the complex is filled with mostly happy kids who play outside often. "There's kids everywhere here, they run in like packs here, they are out all the time."
The coroner's office is not releasing the child's name at this time. The cause of death is pending. Police say no arrests have been made.
fresno west central, fresno, fresno county, local, sontaya rose
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17 31 min ago
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- Accuweather forecast
37 min ago
- Fresno State wins inaugural MW Championship...
32 min ago