Hanford woman's life aboard the USS George Washington
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- America's Navy is made up of nearly a half a million men and women serving all over the world. This week, I talked with one of them, a young woman from the Valley serving aboard the USS George Washington, an aircraft carrier permanently deployed in Yokosuka, Japan.
The South China Sea is one place you'll find American aircraft carriers. Tuesday, the USS George Washington was headed to Hong Kong with Hanford native and Petty Officer Brooke Casey who enlisted in 2009.
"I'm able to travel the world, get a college education, I have a steady pay check, 1st and 15th every month," said Casey. "It's actually cool. It's like working in a really, really small town for about five months at a time but you can't leave."
By phone she talked of enjoying her Navy life that includes living in Japan when not at sea.
In Hanford her parents are very proud of their free spirited daughter.
"She's always been so head strong, 'her way' kind of person," said Jena Maciel. "To imagine her in a system bigger than herself was different for us but she's doing so well in it now."
So well that Brooke plans to re-enlist. Her current job in the engineering department of this floating city is to keep the equipment that powers food, showers and laundry up and running round the clock for the more than 5-thousand souls aboard the ship. In this Navy, men and women do the same jobs side by side .
Lt. Commander Dave Hecht said, "At this point in history, American history, we've just become so assimilated that you really don't notice the difference between the men and the women anymore."
Back home her dad told us brook's brother served before his sister and is now a police officer. They are very proud parents.
Joe Maciel said, "We weren't a military family so to have two kids in the military blew us away, we weren't expecting it."
They weren't expecting our visit either but agreed to talk about Brooke and her enlistment in the Navy.
For more stories of men and women from the Valley serving in our armed forces -- visit my blog: The Red, White and True.
hanford, kings county, local, nancy osborne
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes 14 min ago
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- Accuweather Forecast
13 min ago
- Fresno State program gets students...
14 min ago
- Work underway on new mural in Downtown Fresno
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos