Truck stop rape suspect pleads not guilty
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The suspect in a rape at a Fresno County truck stop on Halloween night says he's not guilty.
41-year-old Michael Stanford pleaded not guilty during his first court appearance Wednesday morning on four felony charges, including rape by force.
The judge won't allow Action News to show Stanford in court, but the suspect spoke out and told the judge he wanted the media to hear his side of the story.
The judge cut him off before he said anything else. Investigators say Stanford raped an employee at the Hillcrest Travel Plaza near Avenal last week.
sex crimes, avenal, fresno county sheriff department, fresno county, local
- Feds look to protect frogs, toad in Sierra Nevada
- Native American remains found during fishing trip
- 18-month-old child dies in Kern County house fire
- Mariposa fire evacuees are heading home
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini, 51, dies
- Brian Calhoun pleads not guilty in student attack
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns
- Panel restores some pay for California lawmakers, governor
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Valley kids get a new perspective on water 58 min ago
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation