Fresno Police Chief Dyer staying on 2 more years
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned the Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer will stay on for two more years. The announcement comes after a nationwide search did not produce candidates the city felt it could pursue.
At the time Dyer said he was stepping down, but not immediately. Instead Dyer agreed to stay on as interim chief while the city conducted a nationwide search for his replacement. But Action News has learned that the search did not produce any candidates that city leaders were comfortable with.
There are many reasons why potential candidates may have shied away from Fresno. The department has lost more than one-hundred officers in the last 18 months due to budget cuts through attrition and shed hundreds of civilian positions -- decimating the Records, Crime Scene Bureau and Dispatch units.
During his 10 years as Chief, Dyer led the department through several difficult issues including an incident where K9 officers shot off illegal fireworks near passing planes at FYI and the beating of homeless man Glen Beatty which was caught on tape.
But the chief also led the city through a record low crime rate and national recognition for traffic safety, gang suppression and accreditation. While many credit Dyer for the city's success, the chief said the success was not his alone. "I've been truly blessed of God to be able to serve in the Fresno Police Department, to be able to serve among some of the bravest men and women alive."
There is no exact time table for the chief's new departure date other than it will be roughly two years from now.
fresno, jerry dyer, fresno police department, local, gene haagenson
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say 52 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident
- Accuweather Forecast
19 min ago
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs,...
55 min ago
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
34 min ago