Not guilty plea in Fresno toddler murder, molest case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Xavier Hawkins pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges Wednesday afternoon.
Hawkins looked disheveled in court and stood mostly out of view -- even from his mother and sister. Despite the disturbing details they've heard from police and the victim's family, Hawkins' family is standing behind him.
"I just wish him the best," his sister said as she walked past an Action News camera.
Hawkins' sister and mother came to court to support the murder defendant as he faced a judge.
Earlier this month, the 20-year-old called 911 from the west Central Fresno apartment he shared with his girlfriend, Emiley Bridges, and her young son, Syre. Hawkins was taking care of Syre, who was three weeks from his second birthday, when the boy stopped breathing.
A coroner's exam later showed Syre died of blunt force trauma to the body. And investigators determined Hawkins not only killed him, but also sexually abused him before his death. The suspect's family claims Hawkins is innocent. They say it's Syre's mother who is responsible for abusing the boy.
"I hope the truth comes out," said Hawkin's mother, Kenya Davis. "Tell the truth. Tell the truth. Neighbors saw her do it."
Homicide detectives say they believe Emiley Bridges told Action News the truth when she said she didn't know about the abuse. She told me us wants Hawkins to suffer in jail the same way he made her son suffer.
Action News has also uncovered new information about Hawkins' criminal past. A search of court records showed he was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon as a teenager. Then last year, he was arrested -- along with his mother -- after a police chase. They were both convicted of felonies.
Hawkins has been accused of violating his probation in the case twice -- including once for associating with known gang members. He's due back in court next week on the murder charge.
fresno, fresno county, fresno west central, crimetracker, sex crimes, murder, local, corin hoggard
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno 39 min ago
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos