Packing heat will be easier in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Getting a concealed weapons permit in Fresno used to mean you had to have a documented threat to your safety, or be at risk by carrying around a lot of money for a business. The City Council has decided to change that.
Lee Brand said, "Basically any citizen concerned for their safety their family their friends their employees."
City Council President Lee Brand pushed a measure allowing anyone who feels the need, and can pass a background check can carry a gun.
Fresno's Police Chief is behind it. "I do support this change."
This put the chief at odds with one of his former employees. City Council Member Oliver Baines, a former police officer argued against the policy.
"I have grave, grave reservations," said Baines. "I think it is the wrong message to send to our constituency."
Several citizens spoke out against the measure.
Steve Smith told the council, "It's a bad idea, and we need not go backwards to the wild-wild west of gunslingers."
Howard Watkins said, "That means the city council if you adopt this ordinance would be saying we want Fresno to be an armed community, and I don't think that's a message I would like to see this city have."
But five members of the council thought it was a good message and approved the measure. Something gun dealer Barry Bauer supported.
Bauer said, "There is just no reason we shouldn't let good citizens protect themselves."
It will be up to Chief Dyer to work out the details but it appears that any Fresno resident over 21 who wants to carry a gun, can go through proper training and pass a background check, will soon be able to carry a concealed weapon in public.
jerry dyer, fresno police department, fresno, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder 11 min ago
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos