Two dead in suspected DUI crash in Clovis
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two people are dead after an early morning crash in Clovis, and a Clovis man is accused of drunk driving.
Larry Garcia was in custody at Community Regional Medical Center on Sunday night. People who live near where the crash happened say after the crash Garcia sat on the street corner, and they could smell alcohol on him.
Family friends said Keith Smith and his girlfriend Jessica Matthes had recently moved in together. Smith died at the scene of the crash and Matthes died at the hospital a short time later. Clovis Police say the car they were in was struck by the pick-up truck Larry Garcia was driving while he ran a red light.
Heather McCullough lives in a nearby apartment and heard the crash. "You couldn't hear any screeching tires, just a loud boom."
McCullough said dozens of people came out to see what was going on -- some heard the crash from several blocks away. "Very sad, because immediately everyone knew there was alcohol involved."
Keith Smith's family and friends are just too distraught to talk on camera, but they say the former Marine and father of three was a great guy. On Twitter -- his daughter wrote: "My daddy was the strongest person I've ever known. I knew my daddy loved me. Don't drink and drive. I love you Keith Smith."
Smith's girlfriend, Jessica Matthes, had recently moved from the Sacramento area to live with Smith.
Clovis Police say this deadly crash should serve as a reminder to be safe behind the wheel. "We see these collisions everyday with drunk drivers that hurt themselves or hurt others. Just remember, if you're going to drink this holiday season, call a friend or call a cab," said Kristina Hershberger with the Clovis Police Department.
The suspected drunk driver, Larry Garcia, is listed in fair condition at Community Regional Medical Center he is in police custody and faces D.U.I. and manslaughter charges.
clovis, fresno county, dui, crimetracker, accident, local, rick montanez
- Man caught downloading child porn at McDonald's
- Valley home invasion suspect arrested in Reno
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- New Fresno State president has strong Valley roots
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Merced County launches Citizen Alert system
- Budget improvements for Fresno Unified
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- Former Bullard Star Taylor Gets Coaching Start at Kerman
- Valley students helping tornado-ravaged town of Moore
- Stand-up paddling is catching on
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos