Detectives intensifying search for woman's assailant
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County detectives are intensifying their search for a home invader who shot an elderly woman in the face Thanksgiving Day morning.
The shooting left 91-year-old Marcella Miller partially paralyzed. Miller was shot when someone broke into her San Joaquin home Thursday.
Now she's in the hospital with a bullet lodged in her spine. And detectives have not yet arrested the shooter.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Office knows the shooter is a man, but beyond that there is not much of a description. They also said it appears that he's an experienced thief.
Miller has lived in San Joaquin for nearly nine decades. She and her 63-year-old daughter, Marilyn, were asleep at home on Thanksgiving morning. Detectives said someone smashed a window then went inside and confronted them.
"In a cowardly act, he shot a defenseless 91-year-old woman in the face," said Fresno County Detective Leo Lopez. "He had no reason to do that, he just did."
Sheriff's officials are angry over the case. They said home invasions in San Joaquin are rare. The crook left the home right after he shot Miller. She is now in the hospital on a ventilator.
Sgt. Lopez said Miller has a bullet permanently lodged in her spine, which may have left her partially paralyzed. "She has other fragments in her body right now, but at this point the doctors are choosing not to go after them, primarily because of her age," Lopez said.
Sheriff's officials said before the shooting Miller is a very active woman for her age. She still drives and enjoys gardening. She's also a breast cancer survivor.
Detectives said Miller's daughter, Marilyn, only saw a profile of the suspect. And with few details to go on they're looking for tips.
"Even if you don't think it's important, it could still be critical to the case," Sgt. Lopez said.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Fresno County Sheriff's Office at 559-488-3111.
san joaquin, shooting, home invasion, crimetracker, local
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment 31 min ago
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- California farmers to get more water
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Air National Guard honors city of Madera 47 min ago
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- Good Sports: Cheerforce Vengeance