Fresno Co. jury convicts men of 2009 murder
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno County jury has found two Reedley gang members guilty of first-degree murder.
22-year-old Hector Trejo and 20-year-old Manuel Villanueva showed no emotion when the verdict came down late Monday afternoon
Jurors determined they killed two sixteen-year-old boys in April of 2009.
The victims were together on a bicycle when Trejo and Villanueva approached them in a truck, and Trejo shot them.
The prosecution's case was helped by a former Reedley gang member who became an informant.
He recorded the men as they discussed the crime.
"Anytime you have a witness who's going undercover, and getting evidence wearing a recording device, especially in a gang environment, that's huge," Prosecutor Chris Walsh said.
"Regardless of the informant may have said that wasn't truthful, those statements that were recorded, were probably devastating," defense attorney Phillip Cherney said.
Trejo and Villanueva will be sentenced on Jan. 5th.
They both face life in prison without parole.
fresno county, reedley, homicide, crimetracker, local
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Man dies after being shot in the chest in Parlier
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 2 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 25 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Safeway to pay $2.25 million to settle lawsuit
- Accuweather Forecast
33 min ago
- Good Sports: Valley TNTV
23 min ago