Fowler woman killed in Georgia
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned that a Valley woman has died following a murder-suicide in Georgia.
21-year-old Ruby Grant that was known in Fowler, as Ruby Ruiz, was found dead on Saturday night in an apartment building in Columbus, Georgia.
Investigators say she was shot before her husband turned the gun on himself.
Ruby Ruiz graduated from Fowler High School in 2008.
Those who knew her say she was a trustworthy student.
She was also a stand-out on one of the most successful girls varsity basketball teams, the school has ever had.
In a team photo from the 2006-2007 season, Ruby Ruiz is shown kneeling front and center, proudly showcasing a basketball in her hands.
Gary Hains coached Ruby during her high school career.
He says, she was a role model both on and off the court.
Gary Hains said, "You know, some kids are kids you just know you could trust, that you can travel with them, they're gonna be in the right place, do the right thing, and supervise other kids, and that's the kinda kid Ruby was."
After graduating from Fowler High School in 2008, Ruby joined the Army.
Later, she wound up moving to Georgia.
Investigators there found her body Saturday night, when they conducted a wel-fare check at the apartment she shared with her husband, 27-year-old Freddie Grant.
Grant is also in the army.
Detectives believe he shot Ruby, before turning the gun on himself.
Monday, the Fowler Unified School District superintendent issued a statement Monday expressing sadness and saying in part, "Her hard work as a student and positive attitude as an athlete were shining examples of outstanding character for all students in the Fowler Unified School District."
As for Coach Hains, he says Ruby's death has brought her former teammates back together, just like they were when this picture was taken.
"We're a small community and we're kinda a family and certainly the basketball team was close, it was like that, so it feels like losing a family member. There's a hole in that picture now."
fowler, fresno county, local
- Harlem explosion, collapse leaves 2 dead, 22 hurt 19 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare Co officer-involved shooting
- Scammers nearly took a Merced woman for big cash
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network