Fowler woman killed in Georgia
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned that a Valley woman has died following a murder-suicide in Georgia.
21-year-old Ruby Grant that was known in Fowler, as Ruby Ruiz, was found dead on Saturday night in an apartment building in Columbus, Georgia.
Investigators say she was shot before her husband turned the gun on himself.
Ruby Ruiz graduated from Fowler High School in 2008.
Those who knew her say she was a trustworthy student.
She was also a stand-out on one of the most successful girls varsity basketball teams, the school has ever had.
In a team photo from the 2006-2007 season, Ruby Ruiz is shown kneeling front and center, proudly showcasing a basketball in her hands.
Gary Hains coached Ruby during her high school career.
He says, she was a role model both on and off the court.
Gary Hains said, "You know, some kids are kids you just know you could trust, that you can travel with them, they're gonna be in the right place, do the right thing, and supervise other kids, and that's the kinda kid Ruby was."
After graduating from Fowler High School in 2008, Ruby joined the Army.
Later, she wound up moving to Georgia.
Investigators there found her body Saturday night, when they conducted a wel-fare check at the apartment she shared with her husband, 27-year-old Freddie Grant.
Grant is also in the army.
Detectives believe he shot Ruby, before turning the gun on himself.
Monday, the Fowler Unified School District superintendent issued a statement Monday expressing sadness and saying in part, "Her hard work as a student and positive attitude as an athlete were shining examples of outstanding character for all students in the Fowler Unified School District."
As for Coach Hains, he says Ruby's death has brought her former teammates back together, just like they were when this picture was taken.
"We're a small community and we're kinda a family and certainly the basketball team was close, it was like that, so it feels like losing a family member. There's a hole in that picture now."
fowler, fresno county, local
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn 18 min ago
- Perez and Barrera found guilty of 1st degree murder
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Photos: Easter traditions explained
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up