Fowler woman killed in Georgia
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned that a Valley woman has died following a murder-suicide in Georgia.
21-year-old Ruby Grant that was known in Fowler, as Ruby Ruiz, was found dead on Saturday night in an apartment building in Columbus, Georgia.
Investigators say she was shot before her husband turned the gun on himself.
Ruby Ruiz graduated from Fowler High School in 2008.
Those who knew her say she was a trustworthy student.
She was also a stand-out on one of the most successful girls varsity basketball teams, the school has ever had.
In a team photo from the 2006-2007 season, Ruby Ruiz is shown kneeling front and center, proudly showcasing a basketball in her hands.
Gary Hains coached Ruby during her high school career.
He says, she was a role model both on and off the court.
Gary Hains said, "You know, some kids are kids you just know you could trust, that you can travel with them, they're gonna be in the right place, do the right thing, and supervise other kids, and that's the kinda kid Ruby was."
After graduating from Fowler High School in 2008, Ruby joined the Army.
Later, she wound up moving to Georgia.
Investigators there found her body Saturday night, when they conducted a wel-fare check at the apartment she shared with her husband, 27-year-old Freddie Grant.
Grant is also in the army.
Detectives believe he shot Ruby, before turning the gun on himself.
Monday, the Fowler Unified School District superintendent issued a statement Monday expressing sadness and saying in part, "Her hard work as a student and positive attitude as an athlete were shining examples of outstanding character for all students in the Fowler Unified School District."
As for Coach Hains, he says Ruby's death has brought her former teammates back together, just like they were when this picture was taken.
"We're a small community and we're kinda a family and certainly the basketball team was close, it was like that, so it feels like losing a family member. There's a hole in that picture now."
fowler, fresno county, local
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos