Reedley police investigating weekend shooting
REEDLEY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police continue to investigate a homicide that happened outside Kelly's Beach bar in Reedley early Sunday morning.
"We had reports that shots were fired in the parking lot in a disturbance near closing time," said Lt. Marc Ediger with the Reedley Police Department.
Police didn't find any suspects or the victim when they arrived on scene at 2 in the morning. They later learned 25-year-old Rene Montemayor was hit in the chest with a bullet. Montemayor was taken to the hospital where he later died. But police did stop a car that appeared to have been leaving the scene at a high rate of speed.
Three people inside the vehicle said they were at the shooting and when officers searched their car, two semi-automatic handguns were confiscated.
"At this point, the people that have been interviewed and brought to the police department are persons of interest in this case. We've not classified anybody specifically and we're still looking into the information they've provided us," said Ediger.
Another person of interest was interviewed in connection with the crime but officers still have made no arrests.
"We're looking at all angles, we're looking at possible gang involvement or participation in both sides. We do not have a motive identified for the shooting at this time," said Ediger.
Many members of the community were shocked when they heard of Reedley's first homicide in more than a year. "I thought oh geez, here we go again. I was really worried because it seems when one happens, there might be a retaliation," said Reedley councilmember Anita Betancourt.
Betancourt has led peace walks to end gang violence in the area. She just hopes this incident doesn't trigger anymore violence.
"I'm just real saddened that this happened so we need to become more aware and start seeing what we need to do as a community so that this doesn't continue," said Betancourt.
Police are asking the public with any information to come forward and assist them with the investigation.
reedley, fresno county, local
- Earthquake shakes parts of the Central Valley 31 min ago
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam