Reedley police investigating weekend shooting
REEDLEY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police continue to investigate a homicide that happened outside Kelly's Beach bar in Reedley early Sunday morning.
"We had reports that shots were fired in the parking lot in a disturbance near closing time," said Lt. Marc Ediger with the Reedley Police Department.
Police didn't find any suspects or the victim when they arrived on scene at 2 in the morning. They later learned 25-year-old Rene Montemayor was hit in the chest with a bullet. Montemayor was taken to the hospital where he later died. But police did stop a car that appeared to have been leaving the scene at a high rate of speed.
Three people inside the vehicle said they were at the shooting and when officers searched their car, two semi-automatic handguns were confiscated.
"At this point, the people that have been interviewed and brought to the police department are persons of interest in this case. We've not classified anybody specifically and we're still looking into the information they've provided us," said Ediger.
Another person of interest was interviewed in connection with the crime but officers still have made no arrests.
"We're looking at all angles, we're looking at possible gang involvement or participation in both sides. We do not have a motive identified for the shooting at this time," said Ediger.
Many members of the community were shocked when they heard of Reedley's first homicide in more than a year. "I thought oh geez, here we go again. I was really worried because it seems when one happens, there might be a retaliation," said Reedley councilmember Anita Betancourt.
Betancourt has led peace walks to end gang violence in the area. She just hopes this incident doesn't trigger anymore violence.
"I'm just real saddened that this happened so we need to become more aware and start seeing what we need to do as a community so that this doesn't continue," said Betancourt.
Police are asking the public with any information to come forward and assist them with the investigation.
reedley, fresno county, local
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California 14 min ago
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region
- Accuweather Forecast
20 min ago