Police say more about man arrested after chase
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are releasing the name of the suspect who led officers on a high-speed pursuit after allegedly opening fire on them.
37-year-old Souban Soyinthisane has been charged with several counts of attempted murder and evading arrest.
"I'm at 120, 125, I can't keep up with him.. alright, I got you , let me call it (inaudible) he's doing about 125 east bout 180, coming into Clovis."
In this police radio traffic from Sunday night, you can hear officers as they pursue a suspect driving at speeds of up to one-hundred twenty-five miles an hour.
Police say during the chase, the driver, 37-year-old Souban Soyentesen of Fresno, opened fire on officers.
The chase ended when the suspect hit a center divider in Southeast Fresno.
"When officers took him out of the vehicle, they found him to be wearing this ballistic vest that he had on underneath his clothing, as well as found the 9 millimeter handgun that was positioned on the floor board," Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.
Officers say they also found a shotgun in the front passenger seat and two 9 millimeter magazines.
"He certainly had enough ammunition with him to be able to engage a number of officers in a shootout, perhaps that's what he was trying to do," Dyer said.
Investigators do not know the motive for the attack, but they did connect the suspect to more than 30 rounds fired outside Bulldog Stadium during Saturday night's football game.
"What we do know is that he posed an incredible danger to our public. We are very fortunate that we did not have an officer shot or any civilians shot and we're fortunate that during that 120 mile an hour pursuit, that no one was injured as a result of that as well," Dyer said.
After interviewing the suspects family, investigators believe he was under the influence of drugs.
Although no one was injured, police are asking the public for help.
"We're led to believe that these rounds were fired in to the air but that can change if somebody comes forward and say they have some type of damage to a structure or vehicle," Dyer said
The suspect has been booked into the Fresno County Jail and charged with several counts of attempted murder on a police officer and evading arrest.
fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, police chase, local
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka 8 min ago
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 27 min ago
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week