New zoo exhibit closer to completion
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno Chaffee Zoo is one giant step closer to completing its new Sea Lion Cove exhibit, which features an extravagant underwater viewing area.
Construction crews at the Zoo used a massive crane to lift a large piece of glass at the new sea exhibit Wednesday.
They laid down a, eight foot high, 35-foot wide piece that will eventually look a lot like the concept design.
"This panel will provide us with an underwater viewing area of our seals and sea lions. So we're excited about it. It's going to be a great part of the exhibit. Something we've never had here at the Fresno Chaffee Zoo," Adrienne Castro said.
A small group of employees looked in awe as crews cautiously placed the acrylic window adjacent to the walking trail.
Barbara Woodard spent the day at the zoo with her students from Sherman Thomas Charter School in Madera.
They experienced the current sea lion exhibit and can't wait to come back when the new one is complete.
"It's going to be a great new experience for them to actually see the things that go on underwater, whereas right here they can't really see that up front. So it's going to be a great change," Woodard said.
Zoo officials say installing the underwater window clears the biggest hurdle in this $10.5 million project, which they say is on time and on budget.
Once complete, it will leave you feeling like you're in the heart of the California Central Coast.
The zoo's sea lions won't move into the brand new sea lion cove until the fall of next year. But in the meantime you can still catch them right in between the flamingos and the giraffes.
chaffee zoo, fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local, tommy tran
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword 53 min ago
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Sikh man who was beaten shares his story
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect...
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos