Pope appoints new bishop for Fresno Diocese
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The pope has named a new bishop to lead the Fresno diocese. Bishop Armando Ochoa, 68, will take over the position within the next few months.
The Texas town has many similarities to the Central Valley and local priests and parishioners seem excited to see how Ochoa leads the Roman Catholics here.
In the same diocese he has led for 15 years, Bishop Armando Ochoa said he has bittersweet feelings about leaving Texas for California.
"It's really with a sad heart that I take this new responsibility," said Ochoa. "This has been my home, and more than just my home. It's been my family for the last 15 years."
Local Catholics learned of the new appointment at noon on the Roman Catholic Diocese Channel 49.
Msgr. Myron Cotta said, "And let us be reminded as we being this joyful season of advent let us give praise and thanks to god for the appointment of Armando Ochoa, the new bishop of the diocese of Fresno, and our shepherd."
A local priest, familiar with Ochoa says he will be a great fit for the catholic community- especially considering his past experience and passion for people.
Father Mike Lastiri said, "He'll be a spokesperson for social justice, for Hispanics and for all groups, but has a special love for those undocumented immigrants who so often come to our churches and he understands them well."
Ochoa replaces Bishop John Steinbock. Steinbock passed away a year ago. Some local parishioners are very pleased about Ochoa's background and strengths.
"Especially in this area because we have such a large Hispanic community," said Francie Manzanares. "It seems to me that because he's coming from Texas and also born in California that he has knowledge and will bring some expertise into those areas."
Ochoa was good friends with Steinbeck. He said his death is still fresh on his mind and he knows he has big shoes to fill. Ochoa will come to Fresno next week for two days to get familiar with staff and priests. He will take over the leadership role within the next few months.
fresno, fresno county, local, sontaya rose
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Central Fresno 2 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Accuweather Forecast
55 min ago