Porterville hash oil experiment causes explosion
PORTERVILLE, Calif. (KFSN) -- A South Valley man is in jail for causing an explosion while police say he was trying to make drugs in his apartment. It happened in Porterville on Sunnyside Street near Henderson Avenue.
Repairmen spent most of Monday replacing windows in several units at Sunnyside Apartments in Porterville after a drug-making experiment caused an explosion.
Porterville Police say Seth Liberty, 27, was trying to make a concentrated form of marijuana using a butane bottle and a plastic container.
Sgt. Ronald Moore said, "We think that a flame or a spark came out of the butane and ignited and caused the explosion."
Nicholas Clinger claims he was in the apartment when the explosion happened. He says he, Liberty and some other friends were trying to speed up the process of making a highly intoxicating hash out of marijuana so they put the container in the freezer.
Clinger said, "All that platter has gas and stuff in it but we wanted it to freeze up so we could smoke it already so we put it in the freezer and then boom that's it done deal don't put your hash in the freezer."
The blast blew the door off the refrigerator and broke the windows to the apartment and an apartment next door.
Sabrina Castrajoa, neighbor said, "The windows were all shattered and open and everything it was scary."
"It was spontaneous out of nowhere. Something that we never expected," said Clinger. "When it happened my eyes kind of shut because of the loudness and when I looked up everything was spread out apart. I went outside everybody was freaking out."
Porterville Police say while they don't normally investigate this type of drug-induced explosion, it has happened before.
Sgt. Ronald Moore said, "Three years ago the same type of incident another subject trying to extract honey oil from marijuana and got a spark and it blew up in a different apartment complex."
Seth Liberty remains in custody for using a chemical process for trying to make a drug. Porterville Police say they are still investigating the case.
porterville, tulare county, marijuana, crimetracker, explosion, fire, local, jessica peres
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law 2 min ago
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge 7 min ago
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends 28 min ago
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Fighting the flu with exercise
58 min ago
- Valley schools prepare for new California...
42 min ago
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos