Suspected Fresno auto thief now suspected of murder
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno police are searching for 30 year old Tino Tufono in connection to a Tuesday morning homicide in Central Fresno. Earlier this summer, Tufono was called one of the top five auto thieves in Fresno by Police. He's been released at least a dozen times from the Fresno County Jail, most recently on November 28.
Tuesday's homicide happened at a Central Fresno home where police initially responded to a report of a man carrying a gun. When they arrived, a man in his 20's was found dead in a converted garage behind the house. Police say the victim and Tufono knew each other. "It was an unprovoked attack; it was a disturbance between the victim and the suspect. There were other people present that go to home to home, a sort of transient type," said Lt. Mark Salazar with the Fresno Police Department.
Salazar said about 20 officers hit the streets Tuesday in search of Tufono, who is now considered armed and dangerous. "Concerning is not only the violence he showed this morning, but he also made comments the first cop he encounters he's going to shoot him," said Salazar.
In the meantime, people living in the Central Fresno neighborhood where the murder happened say they're fearful for their safety. They say burglaries and drugs are a real problem there, so while Tuesday's murder was shocking, it wasn't completely unexpected. "There's action every night. You here it at one a.m., two a.m., they come through here, they jump the fence," said Connie Cruz.
Police say drugs may have been involved in the murder. They've searched abandoned homes in the area looking for Tufono but haven't been able to find him. Police say if you see Tufono, you should call them immediately.
Send anonymous tips to Action News through Tip Now
Tip Now: (559) 475-8886
murder, shooting, auto theft, theft, crimetracker, fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos