Man shot in two confrontations with Fresno Police
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A call for a domestic disturbance turned into two dangerous confrontations between a suspect and Fresno Police. The end result: two separate shootings from Fresno Police officers and plenty of questions.
The suspect is in critical condition at Community Regional Medical Center after undergoing surgery for multiple gunshot wounds.
Fresno Police say the call came in at around 12:15 a.m. Monday morning from a woman complaining her son was armed and making threats to the family.
In a news conference shortly after the confrontation, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said 5 people were home at the time. Dyer said when officers arrived the man approached them with a gun. Dyer said one of the officers fired a warning shot toward the ground, but the man refused to put down the gun, so two officers shot him.
That's when police say the man went back inside and came out with another weapon. "The suspect, at some point, discarded the firearm in the front yard and as officers were still positioned in the front yard, he reappeared with a knife with about an 8 inch blade and ran out of the house toward the officers. The officers again, fired at the suspect," said Dyer.
Chief Dyer says both officers fired shots and the man was struck multiple times. No one else was hurt.
The shooting comes at a critical time for the department. The department is currently involved in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of Steven Vargas. Vargas was shot to death by Sgt. Mike Palomino two years ago.
Sergeant Palomino thought the suspect may have been reaching for a gun while crouched down in his vehicle, but Vargas was unarmed.
Monday morning, Fresno City Hall released the review of the police department by Independent Auditor Eddie Aubrey. We'll have more on that story coming up Action News Live at Four and Six.
fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, officer involved shooting, local, linda mumma
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Search resumes for missing Malaysian jetliner 51 min ago
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap 28 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Educators inspiring girls to pursue STEM jobs
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- School running: Keeping kids moving
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals 50 min ago
- Accuweather Forecast
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos