Man shot in two confrontations with Fresno Police
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A call for a domestic disturbance turned into two dangerous confrontations between a suspect and Fresno Police. The end result: two separate shootings from Fresno Police officers and plenty of questions.
The suspect is in critical condition at Community Regional Medical Center after undergoing surgery for multiple gunshot wounds.
Fresno Police say the call came in at around 12:15 a.m. Monday morning from a woman complaining her son was armed and making threats to the family.
In a news conference shortly after the confrontation, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said 5 people were home at the time. Dyer said when officers arrived the man approached them with a gun. Dyer said one of the officers fired a warning shot toward the ground, but the man refused to put down the gun, so two officers shot him.
That's when police say the man went back inside and came out with another weapon. "The suspect, at some point, discarded the firearm in the front yard and as officers were still positioned in the front yard, he reappeared with a knife with about an 8 inch blade and ran out of the house toward the officers. The officers again, fired at the suspect," said Dyer.
Chief Dyer says both officers fired shots and the man was struck multiple times. No one else was hurt.
The shooting comes at a critical time for the department. The department is currently involved in a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of Steven Vargas. Vargas was shot to death by Sgt. Mike Palomino two years ago.
Sergeant Palomino thought the suspect may have been reaching for a gun while crouched down in his vehicle, but Vargas was unarmed.
Monday morning, Fresno City Hall released the review of the police department by Independent Auditor Eddie Aubrey. We'll have more on that story coming up Action News Live at Four and Six.
fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, officer involved shooting, local, linda mumma
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge 23 min ago
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Health Watch: depressed preschoolers?