Visalia teacher accused of having sex with teen
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- 27-year-old Lianne Trout was arrested Thursday. Visalia police said she recently had several sexual encounters with a 16-year-old student from Mount Whitney High School.
Action News has learned the young teacher also resigned from her job.
Trout, a special education teacher Mount Whitney High School, is accused of having a sexual relationship with a former student. According to the Visalia Police Department, Trout's encounters with the 16-year-old boy happened within city limits. Investigators believe there were several incidents over the past month.
"It's my understanding that an uninvolved person contacted the school district and made them aware of the potential allegations," Lt. Brian Winter said. "From there, the district contacted us and we were able to verify the situation."
Lt. Winter said detectives with the Violent Crime Unit were sent to the school Wednesday. By Thursday, detectives had interviewed both the teenage victim and the accused teacher.
Dr. Craig Wheaton, Visalia Unified School District Superintendent, would not go into detail about the accusations against Trout. But he told Action News she is a new teacher at the district. "I can confirm that we did have a teacher that resigned [Thursday], who was arrested, she was a special ed teacher since August of this year at Mount Whitney High School," said Dr. Wheaton.
"It's a very serious allegation," Lt. Winter said. "The public puts its trust in teachers and into our schools, so it's very concerning to the police department, for the parents and everybody involved."
According to state records, Trout received her teaching credential last year. Around the time she was hired with Visalia Unified, back in August, she received her special education credentials.
crimetracker, sex crimes, visalia, tulare county, local, rick montanez
- Deputies shoot, kill suspect west of Fresno
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment
- Man arrested for exposing himself in front of kids
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 56 min ago
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 50 min ago
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Suspects sought after man stabbed in Parlier
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- California farmers to get more water
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Easter Brunch recipe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos