Visalia teacher accused of having sex with teen
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- 27-year-old Lianne Trout was arrested Thursday. Visalia police said she recently had several sexual encounters with a 16-year-old student from Mount Whitney High School.
Action News has learned the young teacher also resigned from her job.
Trout, a special education teacher Mount Whitney High School, is accused of having a sexual relationship with a former student. According to the Visalia Police Department, Trout's encounters with the 16-year-old boy happened within city limits. Investigators believe there were several incidents over the past month.
"It's my understanding that an uninvolved person contacted the school district and made them aware of the potential allegations," Lt. Brian Winter said. "From there, the district contacted us and we were able to verify the situation."
Lt. Winter said detectives with the Violent Crime Unit were sent to the school Wednesday. By Thursday, detectives had interviewed both the teenage victim and the accused teacher.
Dr. Craig Wheaton, Visalia Unified School District Superintendent, would not go into detail about the accusations against Trout. But he told Action News she is a new teacher at the district. "I can confirm that we did have a teacher that resigned [Thursday], who was arrested, she was a special ed teacher since August of this year at Mount Whitney High School," said Dr. Wheaton.
"It's a very serious allegation," Lt. Winter said. "The public puts its trust in teachers and into our schools, so it's very concerning to the police department, for the parents and everybody involved."
According to state records, Trout received her teaching credential last year. Around the time she was hired with Visalia Unified, back in August, she received her special education credentials.
crimetracker, sex crimes, visalia, tulare county, local, rick montanez
- Tulare Police Chief Arrested 22 min ago
- Obama: Sanctions show costs to Russia on Crimea 42 min ago
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Sonic robbed at gunpoint in Clovis
- Large fire burns abandoned home in Central Fresno
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos