Jonathon Gideon: Chowchilla's hometown hero
CHOWCHILLA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A North Valley community is joining together to thank one of their own. 19 year-old Army Specialist Jonathon Gideon from Chowchilla was wounded while serving in Afghanistan last month.
Jonathon was scheduled to come home for leave this Christmas but he's now undergoing treatment at a Texas hospital. On November 18th, Jonathon and his unit were serving in one of their last missions in Kandahar when their vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb.
Jonathon broke both of his legs, another man; Private First Class Adam Dobereiner didn't make it. Jonathan's father, Larry Gideon tells Action News that doctors expect his son to recover in about a year.
Now the town of Chowchilla is banding together to help out Jonathon, his wife and their two young children. They set up donations bins around the city to collect Christmas presents and set up a trust fund at Citibank.
The account number for Jonathan's fund is 204399430.
chowchilla, madera county, local, mariana jacob
- Malaysian official says missing plane hijacked 23 min ago
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about 37 min ago
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...