Jonathon Gideon: Chowchilla's hometown hero
CHOWCHILLA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A North Valley community is joining together to thank one of their own. 19 year-old Army Specialist Jonathon Gideon from Chowchilla was wounded while serving in Afghanistan last month.
Jonathon was scheduled to come home for leave this Christmas but he's now undergoing treatment at a Texas hospital. On November 18th, Jonathon and his unit were serving in one of their last missions in Kandahar when their vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb.
Jonathon broke both of his legs, another man; Private First Class Adam Dobereiner didn't make it. Jonathan's father, Larry Gideon tells Action News that doctors expect his son to recover in about a year.
Now the town of Chowchilla is banding together to help out Jonathon, his wife and their two young children. They set up donations bins around the city to collect Christmas presents and set up a trust fund at Citibank.
The account number for Jonathan's fund is 204399430.
chowchilla, madera county, local, mariana jacob
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze 45 min ago
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released
- BART train evacuated after brake problem
- Family blames company for flammable water