Merced Man Arrested for Fighting with Deputies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Deputies say the man said he felt like fighting.
Merced County Sheriff's deputies say a Merced man approached them during a traffic stop, stared at them, then started throwing punches.
Deputies Eric Nelson and Harold Nolen were on a routine traffic stop near Ashby Road and Beachwood Ave north of Merced. Deputies say as Nolen was writing a ticket, Daniel Salazar, 32, approached Nolen and started staring at him.
Deputy Nolen said he asked the subject several times if he could help him. Salazar allegedly started throwing punches at the deputy.
Both deputies took the suspect to the ground and arrested him.
According to authorities, while Salazar was being booked, he was asked why he picked the fight. He said, "I just felt like fighting."
Authorities say Salazar has a history of fighting with law enforcement officers and had a warrant for narcotics. He is also a validated member of a criminal street gang.
Salazar remains in custody on $5,750 bail.
crimetracker, merced, atwater, merced county, local
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Man dies after being shot in the chest in Parlier
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it 46 min ago
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement 19 min ago
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident
- Near drownings on the rise
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- AP: FBI investigates prison company
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Fresno residents can dispose of old tires for free
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart