Orange Cove man arrested on felony animal abuse charges
ORANGE COVE, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two dogs have died Thursday night, police and the SPCA say their deaths are the result of animal abuse.
Police in Orange Cove arrested Fernando Salazar, 50, on felony animal abuse charges.
Officers found the dogs locked in a small cage at an abandoned home Salazar owns, but no one lives in. The dogs had no food or water. One dog appeared to be dead for more than a day. The other had to be put down.
An Orange Cove special services officer says neighbors called to complain when a foul odor began drifting from the backyard of the home. The dog that was euthanized didn't appear to be in bad shape, but the SPCA says the problems were hidden because of its coat.
Officer Jordan Logoluso said, "When they started smelling this, they looked through the slots in the fence to see what was going on, they noticed that there was a deceased animal in the yard there."
Beth Caffrey said, "The poodle, she came in, in really bad condition. She was severely matted to the point where she had infections and swelling in her feet, and other infections."
Orange Cove Police say more animal abuse cases are being reported because the community there is growing more comfortable with the two year old police department. The dog's owner has bailed out of jail.
animal, spca, orange cove, fresno, fresno county, crimetracker, local, rick montanez
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder 2 min ago
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight 51 min ago
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos