Clovis teens on buses involved in Nevada bust
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nevada police confiscated drugs and alcohol from five tour buses Thursday.
Those buses carried 250 California teenagers on a ski trip, including teens from Clovis.
Investigators made the bust in Elko, Nevada. This was not a school-sponsored trip.
The teens were traveling from California to Utah for the ski trip.
A store clerk at a truck stop tipped off police after seeing passengers smoking in the parking lot.
"Some of them apparently were smoking or maybe even smoking marijuana outside the bus, and it appeared suspicious to the people at the Maverick. The Maverick store people called us," Elko Police Chief Don Zumwalt said.
The teens were let go because there's not enough jail space in Elko. Otherwise they would have all been charged with a misdemeanor.
No one on the busses claimed to be a chaperone.
The tour bus company said it is impossible to track what passengers bring on the bus.
clovis, fresno county, nevada, drug bust, local
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos