Clovis teens on buses involved in Nevada bust
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Nevada police confiscated drugs and alcohol from five tour buses Thursday.
Those buses carried 250 California teenagers on a ski trip, including teens from Clovis.
Investigators made the bust in Elko, Nevada. This was not a school-sponsored trip.
The teens were traveling from California to Utah for the ski trip.
A store clerk at a truck stop tipped off police after seeing passengers smoking in the parking lot.
"Some of them apparently were smoking or maybe even smoking marijuana outside the bus, and it appeared suspicious to the people at the Maverick. The Maverick store people called us," Elko Police Chief Don Zumwalt said.
The teens were let go because there's not enough jail space in Elko. Otherwise they would have all been charged with a misdemeanor.
No one on the busses claimed to be a chaperone.
The tour bus company said it is impossible to track what passengers bring on the bus.
clovis, fresno county, nevada, drug bust, local
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 50 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt