Fresno Police search for New Year's Eve shooter
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A woman in her mid-twenties was shot in Central Fresno outside a New Year's Eve party and later died at the hospital.
A busy New Year's Eve for Fresno Police left detectives investigating what could be the city's first homicide of the year. In the midst of dealing with three shootings and two stabbing calls, Police say a young woman was found with gunshot wounds outside a New Year's Eve party Saturday night.
It happened just before midnight at a home on Hughes near Weber in Central Fresno. Police say a driver spotted the woman in the road after she had been shot. The people in that car picked the victim up brought her to the Northwest Policing District Office less than a mile from the shooting scene.
Now investigators are looking for the person responsible for that woman's death.
The Central Fresno neighborhood started off the new year blocked off with crime tape as police continue to investigate an overnight homicide. Detectives say a woman in her mid-20's was shot in the side.
"We received the call prior to midnight at what time she was pronounced deceased was after midnight," said John Jensen with the Fresno Police Department.
Police have released few details surrounding the homicide. They said the woman was dropped off in the parking lot outside the Northwest Policing District Office. She was taken to Community Regional Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.
Neighbors reported hearing as many as 20 gun shots Saturday night. Detectives spent New Year's Day morning searching for evidence. At least two vehicles were towed away from the scene and investigators snapped pictures outside a blue house.
"Hopefully within the next day or so we will have more answers," said Jensen.
Once the crime tape came down, a small memorial was set up near where the woman was shot. Neighbors declined to speak on camera, but told Action News it was frightening to hear about a murder near their homes.
Police said they believe this shooting was not random. Since the woman was shot before midnight but died after midnight, it's unclear whether this will be labeled as the final homicide of 2011 or the first of 2012.
Investigators are asking anyone with information about the case to contact Fresno police.
homicide, shooting, crimetracker, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested 5 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- 3 protesters killed in attack on Ukrainian base
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos