New Year rang in with gunfire across the Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The year 2012 rang in with the sounds of gunfire for many people in the city and the county of Fresno. It's one annual and illegal tradition that law enforcement would like to see end.
One county resident agrees, but his ongoing neighborhood efforts to quiet the guns didn't change the midnight noise and left one of his vehicles damaged.
Jerry Giralde heard rounds of shots fired just before midnight and posted a video on our Facebook fan page. Evidence of the shots were on the windows of his motor home but officer's say there isn't much he can do.
Giralde said, "He just said as much as you tell these guys they just keep firing you can't really do anything about it."
Chris Curtice with the Fresno County Sheriff's Office said, "You can inadvertently kill somebody. And I don't think they're thinking that when they're drunk and firing a gun in the air."
Giralde says he'll keep on trying to change the minds of his neighbors who fire the shots during the holiday.
The city of Fresno had its' officers wait under cover until the gunfire ended before responding to 171 "shots fired" calls.
holiday, new year's eve, shooting, local, nancy osborne
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County 28 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case 29 min ago
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian 58 min ago
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed