New Year rang in with gunfire across the Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The year 2012 rang in with the sounds of gunfire for many people in the city and the county of Fresno. It's one annual and illegal tradition that law enforcement would like to see end.
One county resident agrees, but his ongoing neighborhood efforts to quiet the guns didn't change the midnight noise and left one of his vehicles damaged.
Jerry Giralde heard rounds of shots fired just before midnight and posted a video on our Facebook fan page. Evidence of the shots were on the windows of his motor home but officer's say there isn't much he can do.
Giralde said, "He just said as much as you tell these guys they just keep firing you can't really do anything about it."
Chris Curtice with the Fresno County Sheriff's Office said, "You can inadvertently kill somebody. And I don't think they're thinking that when they're drunk and firing a gun in the air."
Giralde says he'll keep on trying to change the minds of his neighbors who fire the shots during the holiday.
The city of Fresno had its' officers wait under cover until the gunfire ended before responding to 171 "shots fired" calls.
holiday, new year's eve, shooting, local, nancy osborne
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe