City sanitation workers take concerns to Fresno mayor
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno city garbage collectors are taking their concerns about privatization straight to the mayor.
About a dozen city workers gathered outside the public access TV studios at Van Ness and Calaveras where Mayor Ashley Swearengin was making an appearance.
The workers wanted to know if the mayor is planning to sell the city's residential garbage collection service to private companies.
She told them no decisions have been made.
"We're at the very early stages of considering this, I don't even know if I will recommend it. I've got to get the data first, you know," Swearengin said.
"I think they are looking seriously at privatization. I think they are trying to fast track it. And if she can quell us, keep us quiet, and continue to move forward with what she's planning, I think it's going to happen," sanitation engineer Clarence Williamson said.
The city recently sold its commercial garbage collection service to two private companies.
City workers say they're also concerned because the city is paying a consultant $40 thousand dollars to study privatizing residential garbage collection.
The workers say if the city sells its trash service, customers will see rising rates.
fresno, fresno county, ashley swearengin, local
- The Red Wave hits the road
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles 47 min ago
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Police search for suspects who shot a Fresno teacher
- Parlier students get iPad Airs 37 min ago
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl: Chance for 'Dogs to break bowl...
- Fire burns Three Rivers landmark
- Valley stores open extra hour for holiday rush
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Proposition 30 allows Parlier students to...
38 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of...
34 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos