More Fresno County employees to take pay cuts
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It's a tough start to the new year for some Fresno County employees.
In the latest round of cuts, more than sixty non-union workers will have to take a pay cut.
Those employees will join thousands of union workers whose salaries were slashed last month.
On Tuesday the Board of Supervisors imposed a 7.5 percent pay cut on 66 workers.
Last month the county imposed a nine percent pay cut on more than four thousand county workers in the SEIU.
The union represents most county non-management workers such as janitors, clerks and librarians.
Tuesday's cuts will affect workers who are not part of the union.
Supervisor Susan Anderson, who backed the action, says the cuts are necessary across the board.
"I feel like when we have made these cuts in these other equal positions, now we have to try and equalise," Anderson said.
Supervisor Henry Perea opposed the reduction.
"What I don't support is punishment, and I think that's what we are imposing on our employees," Perea said.
Beth Bandy heads the county's Personnnel Services Administration.
She says 21 people in her department will be affected in these latest cuts. Bandy says despite the cuts, employees may still lose their jobs.
"Some of the departments may have to layoff this year, I may have to layoff this year or cut positions, vacant positions in order to achieve my budget for this fiscal year," Bandy said.
fresno county board of supervisors, fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, local, mariana jacob
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Sikh man who was beaten shares his story
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos