Winemaker puts Kingsburg on the map
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Grapes are the number one crop in the Central Valley and every year, more are being grown to be made into wine. A small winery in Kingsburg is winning awards for the wine it's turning out.
Under the familiar Kingsburg tea cup water tower this southern Fresno County business is booming with success and recognition.
Oscar Ramos said, "I think it's awesome that a little winemaker in Kingsburg is hitting home runs up in San Francisco."
Ramos won two bronze and one gold medal at the 2012 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition earlier this month. He grew up in a farmworker household, who tended vineyards. By the time he finished high school his goal was to grow his own grapes and make wine.
The 2003 graduate of Fresno State's school of winemaking chose to make wine in the San Joaquin Valley, rather than the Napa Valley.
Ramos said, "I thought there was a need for educated wine-makers to stay here in Fresno and the Central Valley."
And after a decade of work it's now reality... his small vineyard and other Central Valley sources of wine grapes become just 150 cases a year. A boutique offering that has a loyal following waiting for the latest release of his red and white wines.
He's determined to help drive visitors to his home town.
"Hay look, Kingsburg is a nice community come and visit," said Ramos. "I really don't expect to keep expanding... I really just want to make really, really good wine on a small scale."
Oscar Ramos' parents and his education in the vineyards of Fresno State helped bring his wines statewide recognition. They also made his dream of making wine in the Valley a reality.
kingsburg, selma, fresno county, fresno, local, nancy osborne
- USC defeats Fresno St 45-20 in Las Vegas Bowl
- Teen who was shot at Colorado school dies
- Man stabs his uncle in the neck in SE Fresno 48 min ago
- Madera family files claim against city of Los Angeles
- Apartment fire displaces 8 people in SE Fresno 35 min ago
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Record number of manatee deaths reported in 2013
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Things you didn't know about reindeer
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Fresno Poverello House in need of toys for kids
- Fresno State program gets students interested in STEM classes
- Parlier students get iPad Airs
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos