Parlier lottery mix-up woman's house damaged by fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- There was another surprise on Sunday for a Parlier woman who thought she won the lottery last year.
She was forced out of her house Sunday morning when her heater caught fire.
The fire happened at I Street and Third in Parlier around 9:30.
The family says they called 911 after the house started filling with smoke and they realized the heater on the wall was on fire.
The house belongs to Elida Betancourt, who woke up to another surprise back in September.
That was when she thought she won a $54 million lottery jackpot, only to learn the Fresno Bee mistakenly printed dated numbers from the previous drawing.
Despite the mix up, and today's fire, the family says they still have reason to be thankful.
"It's been a good year so far. We're lucky it didn't happen first thing in the morning when we were still sleeping or something. Thanks to God," Ray Betancourt of Calwa said.
The Betancourts are now cleaning up the damage left behind from the fire.
parlier, fresno county, fire, local
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno 12 min ago
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings