Girl Scouts celebrating big anniversary
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Girl Scouts of America is celebrating its 100th anniversary and has declared 2012 "The Year of the Girl".
The group of young scouts, in Girl Scouts of Central California South, are considered the best of the best when it comes to selling their famous cookies. Each one of them sold at least 1,000 boxes last year.
The Girl Scouts of Central California South is celebrating 100 years of training tomorrow's leaders today. The group serves more than 12-thousand girls and three-thousand adult volunteers from Madera County down to Kern County.
Cookie sales are the sweetest part of their fundraising efforts, and Girls Scout CEO Cathy Ferguson is looking to go big this year. "Our goal this year is a million boxes. Last year we had 980,000 and so we want to do a million boxes in the 100th year. That is a big milestone for us."
Pre-sale orders are up for grabs starting Friday -- and the group is holding several events leading up their main cookie sale season. The most anticipated event is arguably "The World Thinking Day" February 25th at the Fresno Fairgrounds.
Girl Scout policy doesn't allow us to reveal any last names, but Cassie and Rachel look forward to selling more sweets and told us what they like best about being a scout.
"That I get to spend time with my friends."
"It's a lot of fun, you get to do a lot of fun things. You get to go on field trips. You get to sell cookies. And it's really fun."
central valley, local, tommy tran
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Accuweather Forecast
47 min ago