Abandoned cat freezes to death in Mariposa County
MARIPOSA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Below freezing temperatures are blamed for the death of an abandoned cat in Mariposa County.
A 10-year-old girl found the animal Wednesday morning outside a home grooming shop in Bootjack.
The shop owner says it was left in a cat carrier inside a cardboard box that was covered with a rug.
Someone also left $20.00 and a note explaining why they could no longer care for the aging family pet.
The Mariposa County Sheriff says his department has seen an increase in abandoned animal cases. Someone recently dumped five puppies outside the local SPCA.
"To me it's like dumping your children," said Jeanette Lozano, shelter manager. "And they need to call the sheriff's department or just keep them until the morning until you can find help."
One of the puppies had to be put down because of a heart problem. But the other four are up for adoption.
Watch the video for complete coverage from Action News reporter Sara Sandrik.
animal, mariposa county, bootjack, mariposa, local, sara sandrik
- Ryan Rodriquez found safe in Fresno County
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30
- 3 rescued from Fresno apartment fire
- Fresno police target gangs in new operation
- Farmers markets hit by freeze
- Fresno Co. supervisors OK preliminary marijuana ban
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Man shot several times in Central Fresno
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos