Abandoned cat freezes to death in Mariposa County
MARIPOSA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Below freezing temperatures are blamed for the death of an abandoned cat in Mariposa County.
A 10-year-old girl found the animal Wednesday morning outside a home grooming shop in Bootjack.
The shop owner says it was left in a cat carrier inside a cardboard box that was covered with a rug.
Someone also left $20.00 and a note explaining why they could no longer care for the aging family pet.
The Mariposa County Sheriff says his department has seen an increase in abandoned animal cases. Someone recently dumped five puppies outside the local SPCA.
"To me it's like dumping your children," said Jeanette Lozano, shelter manager. "And they need to call the sheriff's department or just keep them until the morning until you can find help."
One of the puppies had to be put down because of a heart problem. But the other four are up for adoption.
Watch the video for complete coverage from Action News reporter Sara Sandrik.
animal, mariposa county, bootjack, mariposa, local, sara sandrik
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River 40 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos