Selma officer involved shooting kills one
SELMA, Calif. (KFSN) -- The man killed by officers has been identified by the coroner's office as 32-year-old Clayton Cass.
The shooting happened around midnight Saturday night at the Villager Inn Motel on Third and Young in Selma.
An employee at the motel says the man checked into his room around 10:30 Saturday night, and police were knocking on his door just an hour later. The Selma Police Department investigators are not releasing much information, but witnesses say it wasn't long from the time police arrived to the time they heard gun shots.
Investigators spent Sunday morning processing the scene of an officer involved shooting at the Villager Inn in Selma. It was inside an upstairs motel room where Selma Police say an officer shot and killed the man now identified as 32-year-old Clayton Cass.
A motel worker says there were no complaints made regarding Cass' room, and detectives have not said why officers showed up.
Orlando Villapudua was staying down the hall from Cass and heard part of the police confrontation. "At first I heard the cops 'open up the door, it's the police.' Then I heard the door kick in, then I heard 'he's got a gun,' and then followed one bang, then another, bang bang, real loud."
As police began blocking off the scene of the shooting, Villapudua said he saw an officer walk a woman out of the room where the shooting happened. "It left me shaken actually. I mean, I was shocked, I couldn't believe what just occurred."
People who live near the motel say they almost never have complaints about noise or other commotion. The Fresno County Sheriff's office is investigating the shooting, which is Selma Police policy when an officer is involved.
It's not clear how many shots were fired. Selma Police says the officer who shot Cass is on leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
officer involved shooting, selma, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits