Selma officer involved shooting kills one
SELMA, Calif. (KFSN) -- The man killed by officers has been identified by the coroner's office as 32-year-old Clayton Cass.
The shooting happened around midnight Saturday night at the Villager Inn Motel on Third and Young in Selma.
An employee at the motel says the man checked into his room around 10:30 Saturday night, and police were knocking on his door just an hour later. The Selma Police Department investigators are not releasing much information, but witnesses say it wasn't long from the time police arrived to the time they heard gun shots.
Investigators spent Sunday morning processing the scene of an officer involved shooting at the Villager Inn in Selma. It was inside an upstairs motel room where Selma Police say an officer shot and killed the man now identified as 32-year-old Clayton Cass.
A motel worker says there were no complaints made regarding Cass' room, and detectives have not said why officers showed up.
Orlando Villapudua was staying down the hall from Cass and heard part of the police confrontation. "At first I heard the cops 'open up the door, it's the police.' Then I heard the door kick in, then I heard 'he's got a gun,' and then followed one bang, then another, bang bang, real loud."
As police began blocking off the scene of the shooting, Villapudua said he saw an officer walk a woman out of the room where the shooting happened. "It left me shaken actually. I mean, I was shocked, I couldn't believe what just occurred."
People who live near the motel say they almost never have complaints about noise or other commotion. The Fresno County Sheriff's office is investigating the shooting, which is Selma Police policy when an officer is involved.
It's not clear how many shots were fired. Selma Police says the officer who shot Cass is on leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
officer involved shooting, selma, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos