Airman return from Afghanistan
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Yosemite International Airport was the back drop for a half dozen airman returning from Afghanistan. And like so many other service members over the past decade, their families were there to welcome them home.
Kalya Martinez managed to reach her husband on the concourse before he got to her.
Reporter: "Did you worry about him?"
Kalya Martinez: "I was worried but I got to talk to him quite a lot, so it was nice."
Family and friends arrived early to ensure they were ready and waiting for loved ones.
Julio Martinez is one happy man to be home.
Julio Martinez: "I was an electrician in Bagram, we took care of all the air field lighting, on the air field."
He is among six members of the California Air National Guard's 144th Fighter Wing... who deployed to the sprawling bag-rom air base six months ago.
With civil engineering and heavy equipment experience they assisted in keeping the 32 acres of runways safe to use.
Daniel Bravo liked the work except for the occasions when heavy shelling that drove troops to their bunkers.
Daniel Bravo: "We'd do things on the runways if there were attacks and the runway got hit we'd have to go and do repairs on the runway so the jets can get up and complete their mission."
Teresa Bravo didn't' stop worrying about her son Daniel until she could see for herself he was safe.
Teresa Bravo: "I'm glad and so happy that he's home safe. And I'm really proud of him that he served his country."
Daniel Bravo: "I new when I joined there was that there's always a chance that I can get called to go and I'm ready to go when I need to."
For the Bravo family this week also marks his shared birthday with his mom. And this night these families will celebrate the safe homecoming of their loved ones.
local, nancy osborne
- Earthquake shakes parts of the Central Valley
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released 46 min ago
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam