Visalia SWAT standoff ends; suspect hospitalized
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- The suspect in a police standoff was detained and taken to the hospital by ambulance.
The incident began early Thursday morning in a quiet neighborhood on Whitendale near Linwood in Visalia.
According to Visalia Police, a woman told them she was assaulted by her boyfriend. Police say the suspect, 33-year-old Michael Nash, had tied her up with duct tape in the garage and threatened to kill her. After talking him down, the two went to bed.
Police say the woman then escaped from the home after the suspect fell asleep. She then went to a neighbors house and called 911.
After police arrived, the man barricaded himself in the garage. Police believed the man was armed with a handgun.
Police say when officers approached the garage, they found the suspect in medical distress in the back of his truck parked inside the garage. Authorities called emergency personnel and the suspect was detained, and taken the hospital in an ambulance.
Several roads in the area had been blocked off, but have since re-opened.
swat, standoff, visalia, tulare county, local, jessica peres
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Authorities are investigating a homicide in Fresno County
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- Valley students helping tornado-ravaged town of Moore 6 min ago
- Stand-up paddling is catching on 30 min ago
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror
- Life or death? Jodi Arias jury deadlocked
- Family rocked by a violent tragedy finds comfort
- Crabtree may have a torn Achilles tendon
- Arsonist believed to be on the loose near Orange Cove
- Mother of convicted rapist attacks ABC30 camera
- Ben Bernanke signals Fed to maintain stimulus efforts
- Eric Garcetti elected Los Angeles mayor