Visalia SWAT standoff ends; suspect hospitalized
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- The suspect in a police standoff was detained and taken to the hospital by ambulance.
The incident began early Thursday morning in a quiet neighborhood on Whitendale near Linwood in Visalia.
According to Visalia Police, a woman told them she was assaulted by her boyfriend. Police say the suspect, 33-year-old Michael Nash, had tied her up with duct tape in the garage and threatened to kill her. After talking him down, the two went to bed.
Police say the woman then escaped from the home after the suspect fell asleep. She then went to a neighbors house and called 911.
After police arrived, the man barricaded himself in the garage. Police believed the man was armed with a handgun.
Police say when officers approached the garage, they found the suspect in medical distress in the back of his truck parked inside the garage. Authorities called emergency personnel and the suspect was detained, and taken the hospital in an ambulance.
Several roads in the area had been blocked off, but have since re-opened.
swat, standoff, visalia, tulare county, local, jessica peres
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals