Fresno Police say drive-by shooting related to tagging wars
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The shooting happened in a shopping center on Chestnut and Olive in East Central Fresno.
Witnesses saw a man speed out of the area right after police say he shot an 18 year old. Investigators say the drive-by shooting is related to tagging wars.
A busy shopping center turned into a crime scene while Fresno Police collected evidence, including surveillance video which shows the victim moments before the shooting.
Action News has learned the teenage victim was leaving the smoke shop when he was shot. Lee Jimenez says he was working a few doors down, when he heard a commotion.
"I was just working on a few clients when I heard a few shots and I immediately rushed out the front door to see what was happening," said Lee Jimenez. "And then the individual had got shot on the side of the leg. He was already on the floor lying down."
Investigators say the shooting appears to be related to tagging gangs. The gunfire drew the attention of several bystanders who then zeroed in on the suspect's speedy departure.
"At this point we're looking for a black primered Honda. Possibly a Civic hatchback," said Lieutenant Burke Farrah. "According to our witnesses, the vehicles exhaust and suspension may be modified."
The shooting comes a day after a man was stabbed to death in the same area. According to investigators a homeless man was found stabbed around 3:30 Wednesday morning in an alley, behind a business complex. Some neighbors say they are concerned about the increased violence.
Jimenez says he had the chance to talk with the victim moments before he was taken to the hospital.
"He was talking, he just seemed a little distraught, disoriented. And upset," said Lee Jimenez. "It didn't seem that the individual knew the persons that had shot him."
Officers say both the suspect and victim were alone at the time. The victim does not have life threatening injuries. But the search for the suspect continues. If you have any information, please call Fresno Police.
shooting, crimetracker, fresno police department, fresno east central, fresno, fresno county, local, sontaya rose
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos