Fresno extends ban on outdoor marijuana growing
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno's Police Chief told the City Council outdoor marijuana grows were a magnet for crime and violence.
"The people that are protecting those groves have armed themselves with firearms."
Chief Jerry Dyer asked the council to extend a temporary 45 day moratorium on outdoor growing. The council passed the ban on December 15th. The extension would last for more than ten months. The Chiefs request had support of the city's neighborhood watch leader.
Rosalyn Clark told the council: "We do view the cultivation of marijuana as a potential for crime in our neighborhoods."
Dyer says the big problem is the increasing value of marijuana s turned what is supposed to be medical marijuana for personal growing into a big business.
Chief Dyer said, "What we have found is those individuals who have set up outdoor marijuana grows have done if for the purpose of making profit and that profit is substantial."
Fresno Police say a pound of pot can be grown and processed in Fresno for about $75 and sold on the East Cost for $5 thousand.
The Council approved extending the outdoor growing ban, which puts the city in line with County regulations. While the temporary ban will be in effect for ten months Dyer expects to have a permanent ordinance ready for council consideration in April.
Fresno Police say there have been at least five shootings and one homicide as the result of outdoor growing operations within the city limits. Police say many big marijuana growing operations have already moved indoors.
marijuana, medical marijuana, jerry dyer, fresno city council, fresno, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe