Oakhurst comes together after carbon monoxide deaths
OAKHURST, Calif. (KFSN) -- The deaths of four family members in Oakhurst have sparked a new effort to protect others.
Ten year old Alexis Montoya, her eight year old sister Jayden, their grandmother Diana, and their uncle, Bruce Hargett all died from carbon monoxide poisoning last January.
Now First Alert is donating enough carbon monoxide alarms for every student at Oakhurst Elementary School, and 250 more for Calfire to give away at local stations.
During an assembly Friday, firefighters taught the kids to leave their house and call 9-1-1 if the alarm goes off. The students also heard from a woman who nearly died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
"You don't know if any everyday appliance like your stove, your dryer, the flew in your fireplace is clogged," said Elizabeth Bryan. "There are so many multiple sources of potential danger where carbon monoxide can be coming out and hurting your family."
The detectors are now required by law in all California homes.
oakhurst, madera county, local, sara sandrik
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber 59 min ago
- Fresno State men's basketball to play in CBI tourney 57 min ago
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Gut bacteria: The secret weapon to weight loss?
- Fresno Grizzlies hold auditions for emcee,...
16 min ago