Livingston police investigating fatal shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- North Valley investigators are looking for suspects in an early morning shooting that left one man dead.
The Livingston Police Department says two people were shot on Swan Street near Simpson around 1:30 a.m.
Investigators say no one actually saw the suspects early this morning, so at this point they have no description for them.
The man who was killed turned 18 today.
Family members identify him as Regino Rodriguez.
They say Rodriguez was in a shed behind his home listening to music with four friends and family members.
Sunday evening, you could still see the bullet holes in the shed door.
The victim's family gathered to mourn their loss tonight.
They say around 1:30 Sunday morning, the suspects tried to break into their home. When they knocked on the shed door, Rodriguez got up to answer it, but he knocked over speakers.
Police say that's when the suspects opened fire, fatally shooting Rodriguez and striking his 18-year-old cousin in the leg.
"He barely had turned 18. He was a soccer player, he always wanted me to look up to him and follow in his footsteps. He was always a hard worker," Rolaneo Rodriguez, the victim's brother, said.
"It was kinda dark so it wasn't real good visibility. From what I'm gathering it occurred really fast. The victims were still kind of in shock so they weren't really paying a whole lot of attention," Sgt. Ray Fong of the Livingston Police Department said.
The three other people who were in the shed are 16-year-olds, and police say they're cooperating with investigators, but Sgt. Fong says the suspects ran off before anyone was able to see what they look like.
Police tell Action News this is the first homicide in Livingston in three years.
Anyone with information is asked to call police.
livingston, merced county, homicide, shooting, crimetracker, local, rick montanez
- 2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire 4 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California 18 min ago
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers 48 min ago
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region