Man dead after officer-involved shooting near Downtown Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno Police officer is on administrative leave after shooting and killing a suspect in Central Fresno. The shooting happened on Abby near Belmont, around 3:40 a.m. Wednesday.
Police first responded to the area after they got a call about a suspicious man who was running in the street. The first officer to arrive saw a man holding a knife. About the same time, another vehicle pulled up, driven by an innocent bystander. "The suspect started pounding on the vehicle with the occupant inside," said Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer.
Dyer said the second officer who arrived tried to distract the man and get him away from the vehicle. The officer reportedly fired several shots after he feared for his safety. "The officer retreated at that point and actually retreated behind his patrol car. The suspect at that point started running toward the officer while armed with the knife and the officer fired on the suspect multiple times," said Dyer.
The shooting shut down the intersection for eight hours, giving a few businesses like Hacienda Motors a late start to the day. "The area, you see it all the time. Crazy things happen here," said Cristobal Ambris, the dealership's owner. Ambris' business opened around noon, about three hours later than normal.
Across the street, construction crews at Mathews Harley Davidson also experienced a short delay as they work on a 13,000 square foot expansion. There, the early morning shooting was of little concern to the motorcycle dealership's owners. "Business is good down here. We've never been threatened. We believe in downtown and this is our home," said business owner Cara Mathews.
By 11 a.m., things had returned to normal and the freeway on ramps reopened. The suspect hasn't been identified. At this point, we don't know what led to the man's strange behavior.
fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, officer involved shooting, local
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- 10 more bodies found inside sunken ferry by divers
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Credit card skimming device found at gas station
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- Merced County swears in nation's 1st Hmong judge
- Singer Juan Gabriel released from Vegas hospital
- Easter Brunch recipe