Man who stole plane was on meth when he crashed in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno County coroner's office says Ray Pirro, 52, of Tracy -- had high levels of methamphetamine in his system when he crashed the stolen aircraft.
Pirro was flying a single-engine plane that went down near Barstow and Garfield Avenues on February 5th. He was killed on impact.
Investigators later determined the aircraft was taken from an airfield in the Bay Area community of Concord.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
Fresno County Coroner Dr. David Hadden told Action News -- Pirro had so much meth in his system he would have been incapable of controlling an airplane.
plane crash, crimetracker, theft, bay area, tracy, fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, local
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- The final push for California's 16th Senate seat
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos