Snow forces closure of Highway 41 near Oakhurst
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Wednesday morning's snow storm blanketed lower elevations in the North Valley. The weather caused some major problems on local highways -- including Highway 41. The highway shut down for several hours just south of Oakhurst.
The highway patrol set up checkpoints making sure people put on chains if they didn't have four-wheel drive. That proved to be more than a challenge for some people - like Paul Ofer who is visiting Yosemite from Southern California.
"I came from Michigan," said Paul Ofer. "I was there for 30 years and never put a set of chains on in my life. And we had some horrific winters, that's why I moved to California."
Paul eventually hired a professional to help put on the chains.
The CHP ended up moving the checkpoints to higher elevations throughout the day.
oakhurst, coarsegold, madera county, local, tommy tran
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe