Madera authorities hoping to stop gang violence
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Madera police are calling on all available resources to stop an outburst of gang violence.
Over the last two weeks, they've seen six gang-related shootings.
Surveillance video from a convenience store captured one of at least six gang-related shootings in Madera over the past couple weeks.
The suspect fired four times, then took off in the dark-colored vehicle at the top right hand corner of the screen.
One day later, a similar car crashed into this Madera home while speeding away from police.
"He must've come full bore, about 60 miles per hour, I guess. He slammed into the corner of the garage," neighbor Greg Gleiweich said.
Investigators say the driver had been involved in a shooting at a house not far away from the crash.
They found him with a gunshot wound to the hip and a handgun.
Officers believe the Monday gunfire and the Sunday convenience store shooting are connected.
"What we're experiencing is retaliation from one side to another," Sgt. Dino Lawson of the Madera Police Department said.
Investigators have seen a series of gang-related shootings and they're conducting operations to stop the violence before it gets worse.
They arrested three people, including the driver, on Monday and expect more arrests to come.
So far, officers believe all the victims have been gang members, and they want to make sure no innocent people get caught in gang crossfire.
"They can be a huge problem, so the best thing to do is get involved right away and try and solve the cases and send a message to the gang members that we're not going to tolerate this," Lawson said.
madera, madera county, crimetracker, gang, local, corin hoggard
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004