Head-on crash kills three people near Mendota
FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Three people are dead following a crash on Highway 180 in Fresno County.
The California Highway Patrol said a small car was driving eastbound on Highway 180 when it veered into the path of a semi-truck just after 2:30 a.m. Wednesday morning. The two people in the car, a man and a woman, were killed. The semi-truck burst into flames, and the female driver died at the scene. Terry Ince lives along Highway 180 and woke up after hearing what sounded like an explosion. "The flames were from in front of my house all the way to the entrance of Spreckles, three feet tall. It was unbelievable. It looked like a war zone," said Ince.
The passenger was ejected and was taken to a Fresno hospital. His condition is unknown. Officers have not revealed the identities of the victims. The cause of the crash is still under investigation, but alcohol could be a factor. "It's a possibility. Our responding officers went out to the scene and found numerous bottles in and around the vehicle, the Ford Escort," said CHP spokesperson Sean Duncan.
mendota, kerman, fresno county, accident, local, amanda perez
- Earthquake shakes parts of the Central Valley 19 min ago
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam